Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Checkmate

The last few days have brought cooler weather. The highs have been in the 70's, but at night it has dropped into the 50's. I always look forward to warmer weather for my guys. Sometimes I imagine, as I am standing in the cold, what it would be like to try to sleep outside against the wind. I have always wanted to give it a try. Maybe one day I'll brave up and do it. You really cannot understand someone else until you walk in their shoes or sleep beside them in the elements.
Warmer weather has it's problems too though. Sleeping outside gets easier, but Mississippi is a hot state, there is high humidity, there are thousands of bugs and mosquitoes. I keep insect repellent and lots of clean white socks on hand for the summer. Feet take a severe beating in the heat and socks need to be changed often.

On of my favorite "cold weather" stories is about David. David is an alcoholic. He is tall and always wears a baseball cap. You never see him without earphones in his ears and if you get close enough to him you can hear what he is listening to….static. He is very difficult to understand because of his thick “African-American” accent and the fact that he slurs every word that he speaks. I have never seen David when he was not intoxicated. He takes what I offer him but never once has he asked me for anything. David is a chess player and carries a worn chess board in his backpack. During the last few days of February, when it was so cold, David was sitting on a wooden bench outside the church, wrapped in a blanket with only his eyes showing, playing chess with a friend. He loves the game that much and will play anytime, anyplace. I think somehow chess is his connection with the real world...and I understand that he is very good at the game. The memory of him all wrapped up like a mummy laughing with his friend makes me happy.

On the Sunday before Christmas, David came into the church and gave me a Christmas present…a bag of peppermint candy. I don’t know that I have ever tasted anything quite that sweet before.








No comments:

Post a Comment