Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chuck or Don?


I normally wouldn't post twice in one day, but this is on my mind. Chuck has been an on again/off again guest at Grace Place (our day shelter) since it opened in 2007. He's 50ish with a ruddy complexion and a white beard. If he were a little taller he would look like Santa Claus. Chuck lost a leg in a motorcycle accident in the early 70's so he walks on a crutch.

Chuck's drug of choice is alcohol and he has been losing weight for the last 6 months. His prosthesis doesn't fit well anymore and causes him pain when he puts weight on it. My friend Leigh, who volunteers at Grace Place, recently took Chuck to have a new prosthesis made. Upon arrival, Leigh introduced Chuck to the doctor. Chuck looked at him and said, "Actually, my name is Don." From that moment on he has been Chuckdon to us.

I was told this morning that Chuckdon was found dead two weeks ago. I guess his lifestyle finally caught up with him. I hope he wasn't alone when he died...no one should have to die alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment